Elders Action Network -Empowered Elder Workshop (7wks)
Elders Action Network -Empowered Elder Webinar – Registration Open
Seven Interactive Online Sessions
via Zoom Video Conferencing
Tuesdays – May 28- July 9, 2019
10 – 12:15pm PDT 1 – 3:15pm EDT
Elders Action Network (EAN) is a movement of vital elders who are dedicated to growing in consciousness while actively addressing the vital issues of our time. The Empowered Elder Workshop introduces the basic tenets upon which EAN is founded and explores the important role of elders in today’s world of ongoing climate collapse and systemic oppression through the interactive practices and concepts of the Work That Reconnects. There is a focus on understanding, embracing, and stepping into the role of an elder sacred activist.
OVERVIEW OF SESSIONS
1 – Being an Elder
- Introduction to EAN and to the values, roles, and tasks of elderhood
- What it means to be an Elder and to move from un-empowered senior to a state of empowerment
2 – Growing in Consciousness
- Introduction to the science of mindfulness and the Story of Oneness
- How growing in mindfulness/consciousness/awareness supports our interactions with life as part of the larger living system of Earth.
3 – Opening to the Crises Facing Our World
- Introduction and exploration of environmental, socio-economic, and spiritual crises and divides in our world today
- How squarely facing and opening our hearts to the state of the world empowers us to act on behalf of Earth
4 – The Great Turning: The Sustainability Revolution
- Introduction to The Great Turning and new sustainable models of environmental, social and economic systems that are happening all around us.
- How shifting from “there’s little-or-nothing I can do” to understanding what I CAN do and changing my behavior is part of the solution
5 – Sacred Activism
- Exploring and connecting to what is “sacred” and important to you, as well as how to take action from love not hate, from unity not division
- Finding your calling – what is being asked of you now as an Elder?
6 – Taking Action Together for the Earth
- Forming into Elder Circles, Climate Action Chapters, or other community action groups; setting plans for how we will engage as elders
- Shifting from “not knowing what I can do” to commitment with others to take action on behalf of Life
7 – Elder Circles • Projects Creation • Celebration
- Hearing from the Elder Circlers, Actions Groups, and Individual projects that have formed about their plans and next steps
- Celebrating our time together and reflecting on what we have learned
HOMEWORK AND RESOURCES
After each session participants will have access to a homework and resources webpage with daily practices and journal questions, along with readings, videos, and websites relating to the topic of the next session.
The following four books have provided key source material for our workshop. They are not required reading; however, we highly recommend them for your reading list now or in the future.
From Age-ing to Sage-ing (2nd ed.) – Rabbi Zalman Schachter-Shalomi
The Great Work – Thomas Berry
Active Hope – Joanna Macy and Chris Johnstone
The Hope – A Guide to Sacred Activism Andrew Harvey