Posted by Katie Eder / Future Coalition
My name is Katie Eder. I’m a 19-year-old climate justice activist, and the executive director of Future Coalition — we’re coordinating a coalition of youth-led organizations organizing and mobilizing for the Climate Strike on September 20th.
By now, you’ve probably received plenty of emails about the Climate Strike on September 20th. You probably already know that masses of people of all ages will join youth in the streets in over 500 US cities. But you might still be wondering, why are all these people striking? Why should I get involved?
Today, I’m proud to announce that the US Climate Strike youth coalition has finalized a set of bold demands. RSVP below to a Climate Strike event where you live, then read our demands below.
Join an Event
Use the map below to find and RSVP for an event near you.
Too often, we think about solutions in a very small-minded way, inside the box, way. We don’t have time to stay in the box. We need to be more innovative with our solutions and ask for what we need, not what we think could be possible or has been possible in the past.
- A Green New Deal that immediately halts all new fossil fuel projects and transitions our economy to 100% renewable energy by 2030.
- Respect of Indigenous lands and sovereignty — the US government must halt all resource extraction on or affecting Indigenous lands, and recognize the Rights of Nature into law.
- Environmental justice for communities on the frontlines of poverty and pollution, and sanctuary for all migrants.
- Protect and restore 50% of the world’s lands and oceans; stop all deforestation by 2030.
- Invest in sustainable agriculture, not agribusiness.
We know what we’re asking for goes beyond the scope of what’s been achieved so far, but that’s precisely why we’re demanding it. We have just 11 years left to cut global emissions in half, and to do that, we need to work together to make these demands a reality .
If you’re ready to start fighting for these demands, sign up to join a Climate Strike event where you live.
Our only hope of achieving the sweeping transformation we need to save our futures is with the power of a mass movement. That movement that has existed in the US for decades is unifying and growing right now. People in over 100 countries are mobilizing for the Climate Strike — and over 500 US locations in all 50 states, as well as Puerto Rico and Guam, are joining in on the action.
Together, we are the hope for a different future than the one fossil fuel billionaires want to condemn us to. We still have the power to create the change we need, but only if we work together. That’s why we need you.
Katie Eder – Future Coalition